Travel Insurance and Stroke and Heart disease

For people with heart conditions or following a stroke, getting travel insurance can be a source of concern.

General things to know

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The EHIC (previously the E111 or E128) entitles you, if you are an Irish resident, to medical care in the public system in European Union countries. This also applies to countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) such as Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein. If you become ill or injured while on a short stay to Switzerland you will also be covered. One card is needed for each person.

For more information on the EHIC call your local health office. The website has a list of these offices and has more information on the EHIC card. You are strongly advised to buy travel insurance as well as taking the EHIC card with you when travelling.

Northern Ireland & the UK

You do not need an EHIC card to get healthcare while on a short visit or holiday to the UK or Northern Ireland. It is enough to show proof that you are resident in Ireland – by showing your passport, driving licence or other similar documents.

Dos and Don'ts for travelling with Stroke and Heart disease

Learn More
Translate »