The ACLS for Experienced Providers (ACLS EP) Course aims to expand ACLS knowledge beyond the standard primary and secondary survey and to give the learner a systematic approach to identifying and treating the underlying causes of cardiac arrest.
Case based scenarios are used to move beyond the algorithms and show learners how to apply critical thinking to quickly reach a differential diagnosis and effectively manage treatment.
The course aims to improve outcomes in complex cardiovascular, respiratory and other (e.g. metabolic, toxicologic) emergencies by expanding on core ACLS guidelines and encouraging critical thinking and decision-making strategies.
Through instruction and active participation in case-based scenarios, learners enhance their skills in the differential diagnosis and treatment of pre-arrest, arrest and post-arrest patients.
The course aims to:
– Provide an alternative for ACLS providers who wish to renew their ACLS Provider Status
– Provide a stimulus to identify the many areas in resuscitation that require a different approach from that of the basic course
– Teach experienced ACLS providers new information on how to assess & manage critical cardiovascular emergencies not currently addressed in ACLS
The course includes the standard ACLS assessments which all candidates must successfully complete. These include:
– ACLS written exam
– Bag mask ventilation
– CPR AED assessment
– Megacode test
Applying the expanded systematic approach (ACLS-EP Survey) to patient assessment, evaluation and management
– Cardiovascular Emergencies
– Cerebrovascular Emergencies
– Respiratory and Metabolic Emergencies
– Post-Cardiac Arrest Care
– Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology Emergencies
– High-Quality CPR
– Effective team communication within a resuscitation team & recognition of the impact of team dynamics on overall team performance & patient outcome
Students must attend the entire course & actively participate in all case-based scenarios & must meet all current ACLS course completion requirements including:
– Pass ACLS exam with score of 84%
– Pass the High Quality BLS/AED skills test
– Pass bag-mask ventilation
– Pass Megacode skills test
Students who successfully complete all components of the course will receive an IHF/AHA ACLS EP Provider course completion card that is valid for 2 years.